General Technician (Hopewell, Virginia)
Praxair is a Fortune 300 company with products and technology that serve more than 20 different industries. We're one of the world's largest industrial gases company and you see our work every day, often without realizing it.
The United States Industrial Gas (USIG) division of Praxair, Inc. is currently seeking a General Technician that will be based at our Hopewell, VA location. This position will report to the Facility Manager.
The overall objective of the General Technician is to operate, maintain, troubleshoot and ensure a safe and reliable operation of production facilities.
Startup, operate, and maintain the CO2 plant , rail car station, and all associated tanks, controls, and truck fill systems. Troubleshoot plant shutdowns and perform corrective maintenance to allow plant restarts. Coordinate scheduling of planned maintenance and perform some preventative maintenance on plant components.
Responsible for all production duties such as start/stop/troubleshoot equipment, assist with truck and ISO tank loading, in addition to performing plant instrument, electrical and other duties as required.
Maintain and troubleshoot industrial instruments and analyzers including transmitters, PLC systems, meters, and automatic valves.
Maintain and troubleshoot electrical systems and equipment (<600V) including Motors, Backup generators, UPS systems, Breakers, and Transformers. Knowledge and willingness to work with Switchgear control systems and functionally rack in-out breakers.
Coordinate and perform preventive maintenance based on established procedures.
Complete and document preventative maintenance activities associated with production equipment, instrumentation and quality assurance programs.
Read and Maintain P&IDs and Schematic wiring diagrams in compliance with SOP’s, QA, and MOC policies.
Ensure all QA requirements and policies are met (i.e. isolation circuit test, etc.)
Maintain spare parts inventory over systems assigned to their position as identified by management.
Understand Process Loop interaction and impact on the process.
Demonstrate a good understanding of PLC’s & diagnostics.
Assist in outage planning, use RCA methodology on failures and support plant audits.
Schedule and direct contractor activities in all related areas covered above when required.
This position requires a combination of office work and field work. The technician will support the operation of our facilities to ensure they are maintained in a safe, reliable and environmentally friendly manner. The job requires a rotating on-call status. Some overtime, holiday, and afterhours work will be required. Employee must be able to access elevated electrical and mechanical equipment via ladders, scaffolding and man-lifts. Position may also require providing turnaround support within the region. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are needed to develop working relationships with maintenance and operations personnel in a team environment.
1. Completion of a formal apprenticeship program or equivalent combination of work experience and technical training required.
2. Associate Degree from a technical school is desired.
3. At least 3 years of related experience, but willing to train experienced Operators.
4. Proven experience in machinery and maintenance (pumps, compressors, etc.)
5. Ability to troubleshoot and maintain low voltage equipment up to 600V. Certification a plus.
6. Ability to troubleshoot distribution equipment and systems (Brakes, PeopleNet, etc.).
7. Ability to load and unload equipment (ISO’s, Railcars, Trailers, etc.) as needed.
8. Ability to understand DOT regulations and fill documentation as required.
9. Proven understanding of regulatory and industrial standards and codes.
10. Proven understanding of control and instrumentation systems in industrial environment.
11. Proven understanding of process loops and machinery.
12. Proven experience in CMMS systems such as ProCal, Honeywell DocRx or Infor EAM.
13. Proven experience in computers and standard software packages (MS Office, E-Mail etc.).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Primary Location Virginia-Hopewell
Req ID: 18001025